UKRAINIAN INDEPENDENCE DAY -- Slava Ukrayini! -- Glory to Ukraine!
Ukrainian-American Friendship & Heritage Day, San Francisco / August 24, 2012 -- The Ukrainian Flag has flown from the Mayor's Balcony at City Hall since 1962 and this year is no exception. The 2012 Ukrainian Flag-Raising Ceremony is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on Friday, August 24, 2012. It is a short, quiet event that you can watch from Civic Center Plaza, across the street from the Mayor's Office, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco. [Directions]
Ukrainian Day in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco / August 26, 2012-- The 13th annual Ukrainian-American Day Concert with the 130-year-old Golden Gate Park Band will be held on Sunday, August 26, 2012, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. This free outdoor concert at the Music Concourse Bandshell (Spreckels Temple of Music) is to celebrate the 21st Anniversary of Ukraine's Independence --
- Greetings from Mr. Sergiy Aloshyn, Consul General of Ukraine in San Francisco
- "Sonechko" Ukrainian Dance Ensemble from Sacramento performing dances from various regions of Ukraine
- "Veselka" Ukrainian Children's Dance Ensemble from Sacramento
- Bandura Ensemble of Northern California featuring Roman, Olesia, Marko and Sophia Ritachka
- "Kolyada" Folk Vocal Group
- Ivanna Taratula Filipenko, mezzo-soprano, and Juliana Maria Filipenko
- "Trembita" Ukrainian Choir of the Greater San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California
- Serhiy Samborski, Trembita Heralder
- Maria Tscherepenko, mezzo-soprano
- and the historic Golden Gate Park Band, Music Director and Conductor Michael L. Wirgler, performing Ukrainian melodies!
Sponsored by the Ukrainian-American Coordinating Council, Northern California Branch, in cooperation with the Ukrainian Heritage Club of Northern California
After the Concert, you can meet the performers at the Performers Reception: Ukrainian Orthodox Hall, 345-7th Street (at Cleveland Alley between Harrison & Folsom Streets), San Francisco. Tickets: $15/person at the door.